1. Home
  2. Frequently asked questions Pt1
  3. Phone enquiry help information

Phone enquiry help information

At the Stamp Duty Advice Bureau, we aim to be your go-to resource for all your stamp duty queries and concerns. We are committed to providing accurate, reliable, and up-to-date information to help you navigate the complexities of stamp duty in the UK but in order to do all that we need you to allow us to do that and use all provided details in the system or by email .


How do I register in the system?

To register in the system you need to fill the form on our website. Once you do that you will receive an email with a link for login where you can set all your login details.

When you are logged in simply follow instructions and fill all necessary information on your profile .

To provide evidence and documents simply open the file folder and upload them, please note that if you have more to add you can always add them later. For beginning we will need as much evidence as you can provide so our case team can review and if the case is strong we will inform you to provide all necessary documents or if it is easier for you we can ask them from your solicitor.

For all documents assigned to you for signing like TOB and Authorisation you can go to the folder named office .

How can I upload my details and which details are needed?

Once you’ve registered in the system, you can start adding every details needed by opening the folder ‘My Pages’ , then SDLT reclaim and start following the steps :

  1. Welcome form for login and contact details
  2. Case info for property details and here you can also add your evidence and documents
  3. Details for HMRC for personal details
  4. Refund details  for solicitor and bank details
  5. Refund info is a place where you can add all documents needed and also information for the way you bought the property.

How do I upload my evidence?

You can upload all the evidence in the Files folder .If you have more than one property ,create subfolders with the names of the property and upload all photos, videos and documents. If you have a link of shared Dropbox or google drive you can share the link with us and we will pick them from there and add them in the system.

How do I apply for a claim on more than one property?

The process is the same as for one property: just create separate folders for all properties you want to claim and we will take it from there.


What Evidence Do I need? 

In order to make a claim you will need to have proper evidence of the condition of the property at the time of sale .The evidence our case team need to make sure that you have a case are: photos and videos from the time of purchase (you can add the ones from viber, contractor or whatever you have), electric and gas certificates, survey reports and renovation reports(like invoices, recipes for renovation ,photos and videos from the process). Once you provide this we will be able to assess and let you know how to proceed.

Photos and videos

What kind of photos and videos do I need to provide?

When making an SDLT claim, it may be necessary to provide supporting evidence in the form of photos and videos. The specific types of photos and videos required can vary depending on the circumstances and nature of the claim

Gas certificate

What is a Gas safety certificate?

A gas safety certificate is a document  provided by  a Gas Safe registered engineer who did  a visual inspection of pipework and a tightness test to confirm there aren’t any gas leaks. In case of an issue with gas then you will have a failed gas safety test that will help us to build your case.

Who gives the electric certificate and how long is it valid ?

A qualified Gas Safe registered engineer will conduct the inspection and issue the Gas  Safety Certificate. Gas Safe is the official body that ensures gas safety standards in the UK Gas certificate is valid for one year.

Why do I need a Gas safety certificate?

 In the UK, for buy-to-let properties, you are required to obtain a Gas Safety Certificate to ensure the safety of tenants so any issues at the time of purchase can be a reason for claim .


Electric certificate

What is an Electric safety certificate?

 For buy-to-let properties, you will need to provide an electric certificate, also known as an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) and it ensures that the electrical installations in the property are safe and meet the required standards. It verifies that the wiring, sockets, switches, and other electrical components are in good condition.

Who gives the electric certificate and how long is it valid ?

A qualified and registered electrician will conduct the inspection and issue the electric certificate. He should be a competent professional with relevant experience and qualifications.In the UK this certificate is valid for 5 years.

Why do we need electric certificates?

We need an electrical certificate because it shows the condition of the electric installation at the property at the time of purchase and shows  if any electrical work needed to be done in order to make the property livable.

EPC certificate (optional)

What is EPC and where can I get it ?

EPC is Energy Performance Certificate and before renting out the property is needed because there are certain standards that property needs to obtain. EPC ratings run from A (extremely efficient) to G (extremely inefficient).Since 1st April 2018, any property that’s rated F or G must be brought up to at least an E rating before it can be rented out, and that will change to a C for new tenancies from 2025.

Who provides an EPC certificate and how long does it last?

EPC is provided by a registered Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) who will conduct the assessment and issue the EPC certificate. The EPC certificate is valid for ten years but if you make significant energy-efficient improvements to the property, you may choose to have a new assessment done to obtain an updated and potentially higher EPC rating.

Why do I need an EPC?

EPC may indirectly impact your stamp duty liability in certain circumstances.

In the UK, there is a stamp duty relief called the Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) relief for energy-efficient homes. This relief applies to properties that meet specific energy efficiency criteria, as outlined in the EPC.

For SDLT claim it is not essential but can give better information of the property at the time of purchase.


Survey report

What is a survey report?

Buy-to-let surveys involve a thorough inspection of the property in order to identify any structural, legal or safety issues (in accordance with the Health and Safety Items in the HHSRS) that you should be aware of prior to purchase. Survey report will highlight any structural damage or faults such as damp and in some cases, the cost of rebuilding the property (for insurance purposes).

Who provides a survey report ?

Property surveys are carried out by licensed professionals to determine the value and what repairs (if any) are required. He aims to evaluate the property’s structural integrity, identify defects, and provide an overall assessment of its condition.

Are there different types of survey reports and what are the best?

There are different types of surveys available, ranging from basic condition reports to more comprehensive structural surveys. The type of survey needed depends on the property’s age, condition, and complexity. You can check here https://www.coseyhomes.co.uk/sample-surveys/ for more details and choose the best option for future properties.


Why do I need a survey report?

To claim stamp duty relief or to support your stamp duty claim, you typically need a survey report  because it provides a detailed assessment of the property’s condition and any potential issues that may affect the property.

Where do I upload the survey report?

 To upload your survey report into the system, just navigate to the files folder and add it.


Renovation details

What kind of renovation details do I need to provide in order to make my claim stronger?

When making a Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) claim to HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) it is important to have all needed proof of the situation including renovation details like:

  •  Renovation Costs(costs for the renovations  that includes expenses such as materials, labour, and professional fees),
  • Description of Renovations (areas of the property that were renovated, the scope of work performed),
  • Invoices and Receipts(demonstrate the costs incurred for the renovations),
  • Photos and videos from the process of renovation

Personal,company and bank details

Personal details

What kind of personal details do I need to provide for making a claim ?

For making a claim we will need your full name(as it appears in your passport or official identification documents), current residential address (he street name, city, state or province, postal code, and country),UTR  and for easier communication we will need your email address and phone no.

UTR – Unique Tax Reference Number

What is UTR?

 A Company Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number is a 10-digit code assigned by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to identify a company for tax purposes in the UK. The UTR is used to file tax returns, pay Corporation Tax, and communicate with HMRC.

Which UTR do I need to provide ? 

We require the Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) from the main buyer. If the property was purchased through a limited company, we will need the UTR of the company. If the property was purchased as an individual, we will need the personal UTR of the buyer.

VAT( Value Added Tax)

What is a VAT registration number?

A VAT registration number is a unique identifier assigned to a company by the government when they register for Value Added Tax (VAT). This number is used to identify the company for VAT purposes and is required on all VAT invoices and returns.

Where to upload my personal details? 

To add your personal details after logging in the system you can open your profile and add all needed information or open folder My Pages , then SDLT reclaim and fill information under point 1.Welcome form and 3.Details for HMRC.

Company details

Why do I need company details?

If the property was purchased through a limited company, we will require the relevant details of the company for the SDLT claim.

What details do I need ?

For the property purchased through a limited company, the following details are most important : company name,company number and company UTR.

What if the company has more than one director?

In this case you will need to add information for all Company Directors: Provide the names and contact details of the directors or authorised representatives of the limited company.

Where should I add this information?

 It is easy once you log in in the system you can go to folder My Pages , then SDLT reclaim and fill information under point 4.Refund details or send by email and we will add them for you.

Bank details

What bank details do I need to provide when I make the claim?

Once we have determined that you have a valid case and we have obtained all the necessary documents, we will require your bank details. These bank details should correspond to the account from which you made the payment for SDLT to HMRC. Providing these details will allow us to include them in the claim. If your claim is approved, the refund will be issued to the same bank account.

Bank details that we need are: Bank account holder name (if bought through the company then the company name ), bank account number and sort code .

What if the property is bought from more than one parties ?

When a property is purchased in the name of two or more parties, we require details for all the buying parties involved. However, when it comes to bank details, we only need the bank details for the company or the main buyer.

What if the property is bought with limited company?

If the property is bought as a limited company we will need your company bank details.

How to add my bank details?

You can provide this information in two ways : you can either enter the information directly into the system by following these steps: go to the “My Pages” section, navigate to “SDLT Reclaim” and fill in the required information under “Refund Details” in point 4 or you can send them by email.

What if I can’t access my bank account from which I paid stamp duty?

In case you cannot access the original account used for stamp duty payment, please provide us with the details of your current bank account. To ensure authenticity, we need to verify that the bank account belongs to the entity or individual claiming the stamp duty refund. This would require proof of address matching the bank account and a copy of the passport of the individual referenced on the bank account. Additionally, this individual must be related to the property transaction, unless authorised by the claimant.


Which documents do I need to make stamp duty claim?

In order to make a claim you will need to provide the following documents Completion statement ,TR1 (signed and dated) SDLT5 , Sale contract (signed and dated) and a Copy of your passport.

What is a Completion Statement?

A completion statement is a document prepared by the conveyancer or solicitor that sets out all the financial details related to the purchase or sale of a property. It includes details of all the costs and fees associated with the transaction, such as the purchase price, stamp duty, legal fees, search fees, and any other expenses.

We need a  copy of the completion statement issued to you by your solicitor for your property transaction.

What is TR1?

A TR1 is a form used  for the transfer of a property’s ownership from one person to another.  It is an abbreviation for “Transfer of Whole (or Part) of Registered Title” and is commonly known as the TR1 form.The TR1 form is typically completed by a solicitor or conveyancer and contains information such as the names and addresses of the parties involved, the property description, and the purchase price or consideration.The TR1 form requires signatures from both the transferor and transferee, along with the date of execution.

What is SDLT5?

 – An SDLT5 (Stamp Duty Land Tax Certificate) is an official document provided by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).The SDLT5 form is completed by the solicitor or conveyancer handling the transaction and is submitted to HMRC along with the payment of the applicable stamp duty.The SDLT5 form serves as a record of the transaction and provides evidence of the payment of stamp duty. It is important to ensure that the form is completed accurately and submitted to HMRC within the required timeframe to comply with the regulations regarding stamp duty.

What is a SDLT unique transaction reference number related to your property purchase?

 The SDLT unique transaction reference number is a unique code assigned to each property transaction that is subject to Stamp Duty Land Tax in the UK. It is used by HM Revenue and Customs to identify and track the transaction throughout the stamp duty payment process. This reference will always be made up of 9 numbers and 2 characters. You can find this on your paper return or on your electronic SDLT5 certificate.

What is a copy of passport and why do I need to provide this to you ?

A copy of a passport is a  duplicated or replicated version of the original passport document and we need this to  verify and confirm your identity. This copy serves as a supporting document to the case.

What is a Sale Contract?

A sale contract (also known as a purchase agreement) is a legally binding agreement between the buyer and seller of a property. It sets out the terms and conditions of the sale, including the purchase price, completion date, and any other conditions of the sale. The contract is typically prepared by the seller’s solicitor and is signed by both parties before the completion of the sale. Once signed, the contract is a legally binding agreement, and both the buyer and seller are obligated to follow the terms outlined in the contract.

Note: the sale contract must be signed and dated in order to be valid.

How to add documents in the system ?

To add documents in the system you have 2 options:

Option one is to go to the “Files” folder and add the documents there. Simply navigate to the folder and upload the files.

Option two  is to Access the “My Pages” folder, then open “Refund Info” and you will find the option to link each document separately.

If you encounter any difficulties while uploading, please don’t hesitate to contact us via email or WhatsApp. We are here to assist you and ensure a smooth uploading process.

What if I dont have the documents?

If you don’t have the necessary documents, please let us know. We can guide you on the required documentation or offer assistance in obtaining the required information from your solicitor.

Documents needed to be signed

Autorisation for solicitor

Where can I find this authorisation?

Once our case team has reviewed your case, we will send you an email and provide you with a system flow to update all the necessary details. If you are missing most of the documents required, we will send you an authorization form that allows us to contact your solicitor on your behalf. Rest assured, we will always CC you on any communications, ensuring you stay up to date with all the details.

What is the right way for signing?

To sign this document, please refer to the instructions provided in the email. Follow the given instructions to electronically sign the document and ensure to include your full name.

Authorization for us to act in your behalf for HMRC

Why do I need this document?

We require your authorization to act on your behalf for HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs). By providing this authorization, you grant us permission to represent you and handle matters related to HMRC on your behalf. This includes corresponding with HMRC, submitting necessary documents, and making inquiries or claims as necessary. Please sign the authorization form to give us the authority to act on your behalf.

What is the proper way to sign it?

This document requires both an electronic signature and a wet signature so please refer to the instructions provided in your email for the proper signing process. Additionally, you can visit the following link for more detailed instructions, including a video explanation, on correctly signing the agent authorization form:  https://stampdutyadvicebureau.co.uk/docs/frequently-asked-questions/correctly-signing-the-agent-authorisation-form


What is TOB?

The “Stamp Duty Advice Bureau SDLT Refund Terms of Agreement” is a document that outlines the terms and conditions for our collaboration and acting on your behalf regarding the Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) refund. It explains the agreement between us and provides details about how we will work together to handle your SDLT refund claim.

What is the right way for signing?

To sign the document correctly, please ensure that you have filled in all the required information accurately, including your name, address, and email address. Once you have completed the information, carefully follow the instructions provided in the email you will receive. It will guide you on how to properly electronically sign the document. Remember to sign using your full legal name for accurate identification.


What is the amount of commission charged by SDAB?

We have a rule: no win, no fee .What it means is that you will pay commission only if the claim is accepted and you are paid by HMRC.The fee for a stamp duty refund service is determined by calculating a percentage of the refundable amount of stamp duty, along with a fixed base fee.  If the refundable amount is equal to or lower than the maximum discount threshold, the fee is determined by deducting a percentage increment based on the discount increment in pounds from the base fee percentage.. For clients introduced to SDAB, the starting fee is 30%. If you are interested in learning how you can also earn some money back, please visit the “Refer a Friend” page at this link:https://stampdutyadvicebureau.co.uk/friend.

Are there any penalties for this and is there a deadline ?

HMRC usually processes the payment without extensive eligibility verification. However, it is important to understand that HMRC reserves the right to withhold or deny the refund for the purpose of safeguarding tax revenue. Additionally, there is a 9-month period, as explained in our Terms of Agreement (TOB), during which HMRC can review the claim and determine that it lacks a valid basis. If HMRC decides that the claim is unfounded, you may be required to repay the refund amount with some interest. In such a situation, we will reimburse you the provision we received from you.

What is the total amount of Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) I paid for  property purchase?

The total amount you paid in SDLT can be found on your SDLT certificate or receipt that was issued to you upon completion of the property purchase. Alternatively, you can check the completion statement provided by your solicitor or conveyancer, as it should include the details of the SDLT amount paid for the transaction or you can use the calculator(LINK)


Are there any issues if the property is purchased with a Gatehouse BTL mortgage? Would it violate the mortgage policy?

Purchasing a property with a Gatehouse BTL (Buy-to-Let) mortgage does not pose any issues or violations of the mortgage policy. The only difference is that we will require both copies of the SDLT5 Document instead of the usual requirement of just one and .A letter from Gatehouse Bank addressed to HMRC, authorising them to repay any reclaimed funds back to you.. This allows us to proceed with the necessary documentation for your stamp duty refund claim smoothly.more details https://stampdutyadvicebureau.co.uk/docs/advanced-frequently-asked-questions/stamp-duty-reclaims-with-gatehouse-bank

How does Gatehouse work?

Gatehouse operates by utilising a co-ownership model. When you decide to purchase a property, you become a co-owner with the bank. Your deposit serves as your stake in the property, while Gatehouse provides the remaining funds as their contribution to the purchase. This co-ownership structure enables you to secure the property while sharing the ownership responsibilities and benefits with Gatehouse.

How can I reclaim stamp duty for a property purchased through Gatehouse?

To reclaim your SDLT (Stamp Duty Land Tax), you will need to follow the standard process, with the addition of two extra documents. These documents are required to proceed with your stamp duty refund. second SDLT5 Document that you obtain from Gatehouse Bank or your solicitor and a letter from Gatehouse Bank addressed to HMRC, authorising them to repay any reclaimed funds back to you.Including these two documents along with the regular SDLT refund application will ensure a smooth and efficient process for reclaiming your stamp duty.

Extra documents

Why do I need 2 SDLT5 documents?

You require both SDLT5 Documents because the transaction occurs in two parts as per the nature of Sharia-compliant finance. The initial part involves Gatehouse Bank’s partial purchase of the property, which entails the payment of stamp duty and issuance of one SDLT5 Document. Subsequently, Gatehouse Bank leases the property back to you, the investor, resulting in another SDLT5 Document being issued. From a tax perspective, each stage is considered a separate transaction, and therefore, requires its own SDLT5 Document. When applying for a stamp duty refund, it is essential to provide both SDLT5 Documents as evidence that all applicable taxes were paid during these two transaction stages. This evidence is crucial for HMRC to process your refund request effectively.

Why do I need a letter from Gatehouse Bank?

This letter should be addressed to HMRC, authorising them to refund the reclaimed funds directly to you. To obtain this letter, it is advisable to contact Gatehouse Bank directly. A sample of the necessary authorization is linked HERE.

Refer a friend

How can I refer a friend?

This is a straightforward process with two options available to you:

First option is to follow the instructions provided HERE . We have detailed guidance and step-by-step instructions to assist you.

And the second option is to log in to your profile and access the following link(opens in new windows) .Once you are on the page, navigate to the “Refer a Friend” section and complete the short form.

Please note that if you encounter any difficulties or require assistance, you can always reach out to us via email or WhatsApp. We are here to help and support you throughout the process.

Can I refer a friend if I am not a client?

Yes, you can refer a friend even if you are not a client. Simply fill out the form on the following link (opens in new windows), and we will take care of the rest.

What do I gain if I refer a  friend ?

By referring a friend, you can enjoy several benefits through our refer-a-friend program:

  • Cashbacks: When your referred friend successfully makes a claim, you may be eligible for cashback rewards. This allows you to earn money based on their successful claims.
  • Discounts: Additionally, you and your referred friend may be entitled to discounts on our services. These discounts are based on the successful claims made by your friend.

By participating in our referral program, you can enjoy mutual benefits. If you reside in the UK, you have the opportunity to earn Amazon gift cards valued up to £350 for each successfully referred friend who makes their first claim with us. If you are based outside of the UK, no need to worry! We will directly deposit your cash reward into your personal bank account.

Another option is to assist your friend in saving money by referring them to us. When they make a claim  through your referral, they will receive a substantial discount on their fees. This way, you can help them save while also enjoying the satisfaction of helping a friend.                                                                                                                                                           All details explained on the following link ( opens in new windows).


Overall building condition

The structural integrity of a property is essential for its habitability and value.

Properties that require updating may not be decorated with current trends and may benefit from modernization. Unmodernized properties often have kitchens and bathrooms that have not been renovated for several decades. Properties in bad condition may exhibit severe cracks, black mould, and malfunctioning plumbing, which can significantly impact habitability. Addressing these issues can improve the overall condition and livability of the property.

Building stability : cracks in walls/subsidence

Building stability issues, such as cracks in walls or subsidence, can be valid reasons for making an SDLT claim. The structural integrity of a property is essential for its habitability and value. Here are some key points to consider regarding building stability as a reason for an SDLT claim:Cracks in walls,Subsidence(downward movement of the ground beneath a property) , Structural surveys:(hire structural survey to provide a detailed evaluation of the property’s condition and identify any underlying problems) and Professional assessment (who can provide assess the severity of the building stability issues and provide expert opinions on the necessary repairs or remedial actions).

To support your SDLT claim based on building stability issues, it is important to gather relevant evidence, such as photographs, survey reports, or expert assessments. These documents can help substantiate the existence of structural issues and their impact on the property’s value and habitability.

Structural collapse and falling elements: Loose bricks/slates

The stability and safety of a property’s structure are crucial for its habitability. Key points to consider regarding structural collapse and falling elements like: Loose bricks,Loose slates or tiles ,loose roof coverings,Structural stability or Falling elements like loose plaster, ceiling panels, or fixtures that can pose a danger to occupants can be as a reason for an SDLT claim.

To support your SDLT claim based on structural collapse and falling elements, it is important to provide evidence such as photographs, surveys, or reports from qualified professionals. These documents can help demonstrate the existence of structural issues and the potential risks associated with them.

Roof issues: Loose slates/gutters/holes in the roof/chimney problems

A well-maintained and structurally sound roof is essential for the overall integrity and habitability of a property. Roof issues like: loose slates or tiles,gutters and downpipes issues ( blockages, leaks, or improper drainage ), holes or leaks in the roof, chimney problems (damage or structural issues) can be valid reasons for making an SDLT claim.

To support your SDLT claim based on roof issues, it is important to provide evidence such as photographs, surveys, or reports from qualified professionals. These documents can help demonstrate the extent of the roof issues and their impact on the habitability and value of the property.

Damp issues: Rising damp/water ingress

Rising damp refers to the upward movement of moisture from the ground into the walls and other structures of a property. Water ingress occurs when water enters the property through leaks, cracks, or inadequate waterproofing.. Very bad dampness can be attributed to factors such as inadequate heating or a lack of ventilation, leading to a damp and uncomfortable living environment. Water ingress from outside, whether through leaks or poor waterproofing, can contribute to bad damp conditions. Some damp may be present when there is minor water ingress from outside sources. Additionally, a very  damp or waterlogged basement can occur due to rainwater or snow seeping into the lower levels of the property.

To support your SDLT claim based on damp issues, it is important to provide evidence such as photographs, reports from qualified professionals, or invoices for damp proofing or remedial works. These documents can help demonstrate the extent of the damp issues and the impact on the habitability and value of the property.

Mould growth due to rising damp or water ingress

When considering the reasons for making a claim, it is important to evaluate any mould growth issues that may be present in the property. Mould growth can occur due to rising damp or water ingress, which creates a damp environment conducive to mould development. Some mould may be present when there is excess moisture in certain areas. Bad mould can manifest on walls, roofs, windows, or leaky foundations, indicating a more significant moisture problem. Very bad mould, similarly found on walls, roofs, windows, or leaky foundations, suggests a severe and extensive mould issue that requires immediate attention. Assessing the extent and severity of mould growth is crucial in determining eligibility for a claim.

There’s not enough ventilation: Condensation issues

Inadequate ventilation can lead to excess moisture buildup, resulting in condensation problems.Specific situations related to ventilation and condensation like : Lack of ventilation in wet areas ,Inadequate airflow and ventilation systems,Damp and mould growth caused from condensation can be a valid reason for making an SDLT claim.

Evidence such as photographs, videos, or inspection reports highlighting the presence of excessive condensation, dampness, and mould growth can demonstrate the impact of poor ventilation on the property and the need for remedial measures to address the condensation problems.

It’s difficult to prepare and cook food or wash up: Kitchen condition

Issues with the kitchen condition can be a valid reason for making an SDLT claim. If the property’s kitchen is in poor condition and it affects the functionality and usability of the space, it can impact the habitability and value of the property. Specific situations like: lack of necessary amenities, damaged or non-functioning appliances or poor kitchen layout and design can be a valid reason for making an SDLT claim.To support your SDLT claim based on kitchen condition, it is advisable to provide evidence such as photographs, videos, or inspection reports highlighting the specific issues and their impact on the usability and functionality of the kitchen

Gas safety: Appliances/gas safety check

Gas safety issues related to appliances and gas safety checks can be valid reasons for making a stamp duty claim. Here are some specific situations that may be considered for a claim: if the property has failed a gas safety test,faulty or unsafe gas appliances, any signs of gas leaks.Gas safety is crucial for the well-being and safety of occupants, as gas-related issues can lead to gas leaks, carbon monoxide poisoning, and other hazards. It is important to gather evidence, such as gas safety inspection reports or certificates, to support your claim for stamp duty refund based on gas safety concerns. Consulting with professionals and following relevant regulations and guidelines

Electrical hazards: Wiring/Consumer units Electrical safety check:

When considering potential claims, it is crucial to address any electrical hazards present in the property. If the property has failed an electrical safety test, it indicates potential issues with the wiring, consumer units, or other electrical components. Old sockets or light fittings that flicker or fail should be restored to good working order, which may involve rewiring. These electrical issues can impact the habitability, safety, and functionality of the property. It is important to gather evidence and consult with professionals to assess the eligibility for an SDLT claim based on the specific circumstances of the property.

Safety alarms: Smoke/Co2/Intruder

One important aspect to consider when assessing potential claims is the presence of safety alarms in the property. The absence of an intruder alarm leaves the property vulnerable to unauthorised entry and does not provide timely alerts in the event of an intruder. Similarly, the lack of smoke alarms means there is no early warning system for detecting smoke or fire, increasing the risk of property damage and personal harm. Additionally, the absence of carbon monoxide (CO2) alarms can pose a significant health risk, as CO2 is a colourless and odourless gas that can be harmful or even fatal if undetected.

Bathroom condition

The condition of the bathroom can be a factor for making an SDLT claim if there are significant issues or deficiencies that affect the habitability or functionality of the property. Potential bathroom-related issues that may be considered for a claim include:Structural problems:(such as leaks, cracks, or water damage that pose a risk to the property’s stability or safety),Plumbing and fixtures( plumbing issues such as leaks, poor water pressure, or faulty fixtures ),Sanitary conditions(if the bathroom is in a state of disrepair, with unhygienic or unsanitary conditions that make it unsuitable for use),Lack of basic amenities(such  as a working toilet, sink, or shower/bathtub) or Safety hazards (such as loose tiles, faulty electrical installations, or inadequate ventilation).

Stairs and steps: Dangers

If the property has hazardous or unsafe stairs and steps, it can increase the risk of accidents and injuries. One of the issues that can lead to a claim is the condition of the stairs and steps. If there are gaps in the staircase that exceed 100mm, it poses a danger and can be a cause for concern. Additionally, the absence of handrails on the stairs can make it unsafe for individuals to navigate them properly. This lack of support and stability can increase the risk of accidents and falls. It is also important to address any unsafe outdoor steps or trips that can pose hazards to residents or visitors.

To support your SDLT claim, you can provide evidence such as photographs or videos showcasing the unsafe conditions of the stairs and steps. Additionally, any reports from building inspectors, surveys, or professional assessments highlighting the safety concerns can strengthen your case for a refund of the stamp duty paid.

Problem with supply of  hot and cold water: Boilers/ water pressure

One of the issues that can lead to a claim is the problem with the supply of hot and cold water. If the boiler is not working properly, it can result in the water pressure being too low or too high.An old boiler can also lead to issues with water pressure. If the property has issues with the boiler, such as frequent breakdowns, insufficient heating or hot water, or outdated and inefficient systems, it can significantly impact the habitability and comfort of the property.Another common problem is pipes getting clogged with limescale, especially in areas with hard water. This can affect the flow of water and cause disruptions in the supply of hot and cold water.

To support your SDLT claim, you can provide evidence such as reports from qualified heating engineers or plumbers, repair invoices, or photographs documenting the issues with the boilers or water pressure. This documentation will help establish the basis for your claim and increase the likelihood of obtaining a refund for the stamp duty paid.

Entry by intruders: Doors/windows

One of the reasons for making a claim is the issue of entry by intruders, specifically related to doors and windows. Damaged door hinges and windows can make it difficult to open or close them properly, compromising the security of the property. Rotted door or window frames can also be a concern as they may be susceptible to water damage and mould growth, weakening the structure. In cases where UPVC door and window locks are not working, it poses a security risk as they may be broken or unable to be used effectively over time. Ensuring the proper functioning and security of doors and windows is crucial to protect against unauthorised entry.

Floor condition

Damage to the floor can potentially be used as a basis for an SDLT claim if it is deemed to significantly affect the habitability or value of the property. The damage may be caused by factors such as structural issues, water leaks, or general wear and tear. To support your claim, you would need to provide evidence of the damage, such as photographs or reports from a professional surveyor or contractor. It is important to note that each case is unique, and the eligibility for a claim would depend on the specific circumstances and the impact of the floor damage on the property.

Problems with drainage or lavatories

If the property experiences recurring drainage problems, such as blocked pipes, slow drainage, or sewage backups, it can significantly impact the habitability and functionality of the property. Similarly, if there are issues with the lavatories, such as faulty flush mechanisms, leaks, or inadequate water supply, it can create inconvenience and discomfort for the occupants. Providing evidence such as plumbing reports, repair invoices, or photographs highlighting the drainage or lavatory problems can support your claim for a refund of the stamp duty paid.


Insufficient or inadequate lighting in a property can negatively impact its habitability and functionality. It can affect the safety, comfort, and overall usability of the property, making it less desirable for occupation. If the property has inadequate natural lighting, insufficient artificial lighting, or faulty lighting fixtures, it can create an uncomfortable and potentially hazardous living environment. Providing evidence such as photographs, inspection reports, or professional assessments that highlight the lighting issues can strengthen your claim for a refund.

Thermal efficiency or heating

The thermal efficiency or heating of a property can be a relevant factor for making an SDLT claim. If the property lacks adequate insulation, has inefficient heating systems, or experiences issues with temperature regulation, it can impact the habitability and energy efficiency of the property. These factors may result in higher energy bills and discomfort for occupants. By providing evidence such as energy performance certificates, heating system assessments, or invoices for insulation upgrades, you can support your claim for a refund. It’s important to demonstrate that the thermal efficiency or heating issues significantly affect the property and justify compensation through the SDLT claim.

Ceiling condition

 If the property has significant ceiling damage, such as water stains, cracks, or structural issues, it can impact the habitability and overall value of the property. These issues may require repairs or renovations, and the associated costs can be included in the SDLT claim. Providing evidence such as photographs, inspection reports, or invoices for ceiling repairs can support your claim for a refund. It’s important to demonstrate that the ceiling condition adversely affects the property and warrants compensation through the SDLT claim.

Door issues

Door-related issues can be a valid reason for making an SDLT claim. If the property has significant door problems such as malfunctioning locks, broken hinges, or damaged frames, it can affect the habitability and functionality of the property. These issues may require repairs or replacements, and the associated costs can be included in the SDLT claim. Providing evidence such as photographs or inspection reports that highlight the door issues can support your claim for a refund.

Lead paint or pipes

Lead paint and lead pipes can both be issues that may warrant a claim. If the property has flaking or chalking lead paint, it can pose health risks, especially if the paint chips are ingested or inhaled. Similarly, lead pipes, although easy to work with, can contaminate the water supply and lead to lead poisoning. Both lead paint and lead pipes require attention and remediation to ensure the safety and well-being of the occupants.

Trees, knotweed, overgrowth

Overgrown trees, knotweed, and general overgrowth can be issues that may warrant a claim. Knotweed, in particular, is a fast-growing invasive plant that can cause damage to property foundations and structures. Overgrown trees and general overgrowth can obstruct views, create safety hazards, and contribute to a lack of maintenance. Addressing these issues by properly trimming trees, removing knotweed, and maintaining a clean and tidy environment can help ensure the habitability and safety of the property.

Boiler or consumer unit in wrong place

Issues with the boiler and consumer unit placement can be valid reasons for making a claim. A boiler in bad condition, such as a lack of gas supply, water leakage, or problems with bleeding radiators, can significantly impact the functionality of the heating system. Similarly, a consumer unit in a dangerous location can pose electrical hazards, with electricity potentially jumping from one connection to another. Addressing these issues by ensuring the boiler is in good condition and the consumer unit is properly placed can help maintain a safe and functional property.

Domestic hygiene, pests and refuse: Infestations or unhygienic

Issues related to domestic hygiene, pests, and refuse can be grounds for making a claim. Infestations of mice, rats, or insects can occur due to possible entry points that allow these pests to enter the property. Refuse, both exterior and interior, such as peeling paint, leaky roofs, or cracked plaster, can contribute to unsightly and unhygienic conditions. It is important to address these issues promptly to maintain a clean and healthy living environment.

Speak with Nick Garner

To discuss your stamp duty reclaim case
call today:
0161 554 0123

Looking for a stamp duty refund? Complete the form for a service proposal, terms, and conditions. We offer a 100% money back guarantee on a no win, no fee basis. Payment is only required upon successful refund.

Contact us via WhatsApp
+44 7482 779471

Refer a friend. Complete the form below.
See our refer a friend page.

How can we help?