The process for claiming a stamp duty overpayment refund typically involves the following steps:
- Determine eligibility: Check if you are eligible for a refund by reviewing the calculations and assessment of the property and the stamp duty paid.
- Gather supporting documents: Collect all relevant documents such as the property purchase contract, receipts, and evidence of any reliefs or exceptions claimed.
- Submit a report to HMRC: Prepare a detailed report explaining the reasons for the overpayment and provide evidence of any reliefs or exceptions that were missed. Submit the report to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
- Wait for HMRC review: HMRC will review the report and any supporting documents to determine if a refund is due.
- Receive refund: If the claim is approved, you will receive the refund via check or direct deposit, depending on your preferred method.
- Note: The time frame for this process can vary, depending on the complexity of the case and the workload of HMRC. It is important to keep records and all documentation in case of any future enquiries.